Untitled‎ > ‎

School Social Worker

The Halton District School Board recognizes that many factors contribute to a student’s learning.  These factors may include social, emotional, behavioural, mental health, and economic issues.

School Social Workers are employed by the Halton District School Board to work with students, families, schools, and communities to support students, enhance student learning, and to assist them in making the most of their educational experience.

All School Social Workers with the Halton District School Board have a Master’s degree, and are registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.  School Social Workers are also mandated Attendance Counsellors for compulsory school aged children.

Certain School Social Workers are also members of the following board teams:  Multi-Disciplinary Support Team (MDST); School Team/School Resource Team; Student Success Team; Threat Assessment Team; and Tragic Events Response Team (TERT).  Many Social Workers also participate in a variety of committee appointments such as the Halton Suicide Prevention Committee, the Halton Family Law Community Resource Committee and the Mental Health and Attendance Review Committee to name a few. School Social Workers offer a variety of services including:  advocacy, individual assessment, attendance counselling, case conferences, consultation, crisis intervention, family assessment and referral, supportive counselling, liaison with community professionals, parenting strategies, and referrals to appropriate community resources.

There is a School Social Worker assigned to every public secondary school in Halton with some responsibility to elementary “feeder” schools. 

Referrals to your School Social Worker may be made by a student, parent/guardian, school staff, community professionals, or by way of the School Team or School Resource Team.  You may reach your School Social Worker at RBHS by contacting the  guidance office or directly by calling 905-632-5151, ext. 285.

Jenny White, School Social Worker/Attendance Counsellor